The Rock Island Lighthouse located between Alexandria Bay and Clayton (NY) will be open for public touring. The lighthouse, keepers quarters and other buildings have been refurbished and made ready for public touring thanks to $1 million upgrade undertaken by New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. The original light on Rock Island was illuminated in 1847. A freestanding tower was built in 1882. In 1903, the metal tower was moved atop the conical brick base that comprises the 50-foot lighthouse today.
Among the many lighthouse keepers to be stationed at Rock Island Lighthouse is the infamous pirate Bill Johnston, for whom Alexandria Bay’s Pirates Days are named.
The lighthouse and buildings including a museum and gift shop will be open during daylight hours beginning in the spring. Clayton Island Tours will offer exclusive shuttle and touring service to the island in 2013. Private boats are also welcome and ample dockage awaits.
For more information on the lighthouse, contact state parks at 315-482-2593.
Come back for more.